Miss Iowa 2008 Olivia Myers

Monday, July 21, 2008

My weekend

Happy Monday, everyone!

I just returned to Davenport from a busy and enjoyable weekend of travels. On Friday I journeyed to Des Moines for an early radio interview, and I spent the remainder of the morning with my new friends at Tero, experts in interpersonal skills training and supporters of the Miss Iowa Scholarship Program. I look forward to returning to Tero soon, and I thank the trainers for kindly listening to me talk all morning—and for providing wonderful feedback. In the afternoon, I stopped by the Institute for Character Development, where I was able to pick up some supplies for upcoming appearances and fill in the staff on my Miss Iowa adventures. My thanks go to everyone at the Institute for so warmly welcoming me into the CHARACTER COUNTS! family. Next, I stopped by the State Historical Society of Iowa, where I had the pleasure of meeting with the Museum Education and Volunteer Coordinator, Sarah Macht, to discuss my platform and my goals for this year. I left the museum not only impressed with the Caucus Iowa exhibit (please check it out, if you get the chance!), but also with fresh and exciting ideas for teaching tolerance and developing kids’ character this year. I rounded out my Friday with a stop at the outlet mall in Williamsburg, where I managed to find a cute business dress—a successful finish to a successful day!

The rest of the weekend I spent making appearances in company of my mom. On Saturday, we drove to Missouri Valley, where I welcomed RAGBRAI participants to our state at the official RAGBRAI kickoff. What a pleasure it was to greet bicyclists from every US state and several other countries! I was so impressed with the hospitality of the Missouri Valley community that welcomed me and provided me with lovely accommodations at the Oak Tree Inn and Penny’s Diner. As always, I was proud to be an Iowan on Saturday night.

On Sunday, Mom and I traveled to Des Moines again, where I had the privilege of attending the Baby and Kids Expo. I enjoyed signing autographs and judging the Cutest Kid contest, though it was also a difficult task! I am pleased to say that the money raised through the contest will benefit Children’s Miracle Network.

Well, I hope your week is off to a great start. Talk to you soon--

Olivia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home